[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

McDonald Richards macca at vocus.com.au
Sat Jan 23 17:51:32 EST 2010

I prefer to think of charging for a static IP something that is done for
the following reasons:

- Static entry in my routing table for your /32 as opposed to the single
shared entry for a block (/24 or larger).
- 24/7 consumption of what could be a shared resource (some people still
turn their PCs off at night).
- The administrative effort of assigning it and modifying reverse DNS
etc if requested.
- If it costs you slightly more, you WILL hand it back when you're done
with it.

As for having an IPv6 allocation for life - they aren't exactly portable
so I guess it's a good way to retain a customer. I dread to think what
our router CPUs and TCAMs will look like if we ever let people "port"
their IP space the same way they do phone numbers......

Macca