[AusNOG] AFACT logged an appeal

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Feb 25 17:54:41 EST 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Jeremy Visser wrote:

> Or, rather, what is the purpose of a democracy and legal system when
> those with money can just keep appealing until they get a verdict they
> agree with.

Fortunately the people who developed the court system were experienced
programmers so they remembered to put in a termination condition.

The number of levels in the court system is finite so the appeal process
must terminate eventually.

> Maybe this is an unreasonable or naïve expectation, but shouldn't the
> judge make the right decision in the first place, and leave it at that?

Ah but judges are human and so sometimes they do make the wrong decision.
Of course 'wrong' can be subjective here, adding to the fun.  Common law
jurisdictions rely heavily on precedent but the case before the court may
not be exactly like previous precedents and so the judge has to make a
ruling.  The ruling can be challenged on various grounds - voila appeal in
the making.

Rob

Email: robert at timetraveller.org
IRC: Solver
Web: http://www.practicalsysadmin.com
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy