[AusNOG] AFACT logged an appeal

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Thu Feb 25 13:49:06 EST 2010

An appeal will only win if they can show that the judge made an error
of law.

They won't be able to introduce new evidence, and they oughtn't be
able to re-litigate the facts of the case.

Have a re-read of Cowdroy J's ruling again in that light. Take note of
the way that he nails each of his conclusions to a series of well-
explained facts and simple snippits of legislation and caselaw.

It's a very conservative judgement. Even if their appeal wins on a few
points, I think it'll be difficult for AFACT to find errors of law
which change the outcome in any meaningful way.

IANAL, but I can pretend to be one on the Internet :)

    - mark