[AusNOG] Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal]

Mark Prior mrp at mrp.net
Wed Aug 11 18:03:09 EST 2010

On 11/08/10 3:17 PM, Michael Biber wrote:

> I'm not saying that there's demand from the great unwashed yet as many don't
> know what a true near instantaneous broadband experience is really like and
> what they would be prepared to pay for...but when they do, they will. Just
> because MRTG isn't producing the demand curves now or in the past, doesn't
> mean that the demand won't be there. As others have said, I want a much
> better return for my tax $'s...whether they be $6B+ or<$43B. I happen to
> think the 12Mbps as being particularly short-sighted.

I don't think I fit into the great unwashed category but I do
(primarily) work from home using a DSL circuit. As an Australian
taxpayer I would prefer my government to use my money, if it's
necessary, to ensure the type of service I currently enjoy is available
to as close to 100% of Australians as possible before considering
whether I need more than what I've got now (or can afford to purchase).

As I see it there is a digital divide between the city and the country
(for some value of each) and it's clear that it's not been fixed by the
market so I'm happy to let the government spend my money to fix that so
that all Australians have access to the same applications/experience
(what technology is used is irrelevant to me as long as the perceived
experience is the same).

Later we can determine if that benchmark is too low and needs to be
fixed for everyone, or if there are better things to spend my money on
that provide a benefit to the nation (mental health initiatives come to
mind here).

Mark.