[AusNOG] Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal]

Andrew Cox andrew at accessplus.com.au
Fri Aug 13 00:49:36 EST 2010

On 11/08/2010 1:22 PM, Mark Newton wrote:
> On 11/08/2010, at 1:03 PM, Michael Biber wrote:
>
>> 12Mbps doesn't cut it today for the average household/farm...it's hopelessly
>> underpowered for anything coming, IMHO
>>
> I find it fascinating that people would say that on this list, of all places.
>
> If the AusNOG crowd doesn't have a good handle on the bitrates used in real
> life by actual real-life users then what hope do the politicians have?
>
> PS: I reckon "12 Mbps doesn't cut it today for the average household/farm" is
> total bullshit.  And I reckon there are at least a hundred people on this list
> with several years of archived MRTG graphs which tell them I'm right.

I can attest to that, having download quotas both encourage users to
view usage as a finite resource as well as allow limited bandwidth to go
a long way when properly managed.
In excess of 100 clients can survive easily on 20Mbps (1:1) with
reasonable speeds (5~Mbps) as far as the end user sees. The
client/bandwidth ratio goes up non-linearly as the bandwidth increases;
bursting times for each user is different and it takes a lot to max a
service out given well thought out priorities.

Our priorities work with services a student userbase sees as important
seeing as that's who we're providing and heck; we run our business on
this sort of thing and make it transparent to the end users:
http://blog.accessplus.com.au/?p=63

-Andrew