[AusNOG] Quigley announces architectural "stake in the ground"

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Sep 17 10:44:32 EST 2009

On 17/09/2009, at 9:21 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> Brad Gould wrote:
>>
>> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>
>>> So what about direct customer<->customer communication? Does that
>>> have
>>> to pass through your aggregation layer(s) ?
>>

> I think that should only be an option. Mandatory hair-pinning of
> traffic
> is terribly inefficient when the nodes are adjacent at layer two and
> therefore could take to each other directly (at layer 2 and 3).

I don't have a major issue of having local traffic, but I do wonder if
it's worth while.

In order to overcome one "inefficiency" you may have to wear quite a
bit of complexity:

Defining even seemingly simple "adjacent nodes" in such a large and
complex network might be hard as adjacency maybe temporary - ie. the
concentrator you connect to may move locations or no longer be
connected on a common piece of local equipment.  If they're not longer
"adjacent" then who pays for the backhaul between the nodes?   Who
measures it?  Even we have exchange sites where backhaul isn't common
for equipment at the same exchange - there's no local connectivity at
all between different bits of equipment.

There's also a lot of simplicity in defining all circuits as point
(customer) to point (aggregation point).  If you start having to have
exceptions (customer to customer, customer to multiple customer)
points then complexity increases.

What %age of traffic is going to be customer to customer on a local
node?   This may change depending on how the last mile network is
built and how big the aggregation sites are (lots of small ones in
huts, or a fewer big ones in large building/data centres?)

I think the MAJOR question for the NBN will be, not what the customer
port costs, but what the aggregation charge is.   If the NBNCo think
they're going to charge the same kinds of $$ as TLS and Optus do for
ADSL and then charge extra from "quality" and "services" I think we're
going to be in a world of "well, I can't afford as a provider to
deliver IPTV because it'll cost me $300/customer in aggregation at
peak" (etc).

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft