[AusNOG] US Colo ?

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Fri Jun 12 13:08:04 EST 2009

On 12/06/2009, at 12:21 PM, Paul Raj Khangure wrote:

> Rental is an option, but I've not found anything competitive yet -
> they're looking at 2 x quad core CPUs, 2 x SAS HDDs (RAID 1) & 8GB of
> RAM per server, and can buy this in the US for about $4k - $4.5k each.
>
> That's about $140US / month each over 3 years for the hardware. Add in
> $100 / RU for colo (seems to be about the standard rate?) and we're
> looking at $240 US per server, plus any excess bandwidth if it's not
> included in the colo costs.
>
> The rental options I've seen so far, are about $300 US per server at a
> minimum, often more - hence why we'd previously not considered it as
> viable. Happy to revisit if there are specific recommendations for
> facilities which are cost effective.

prk,

We're paying roughly $300 US/month for similar spec'd servers from
SoftLayer (softlayer.com). Have been extremely happy with their
service and were not phased paying a little extra for a completely
managed 'set and forget' solution.

We also have been using some of their newer virtual machines for
smaller instances running on their 'cloud computing' platform, which
has also been fantastic so far.

Regards,
Tom