[AusNOG] Carrier Independent Peering Exchange

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Dec 18 11:05:50 EST 2009

On 18/12/2009, at 9:20 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> TPG do have a commercial incentive to stop their competitors peering
> using their PIPE peering infrastructure, so it's fundamentally a
> question of whether TPG choose to take advantage of it or not.

I don't think the commercial incentive is quite there.   If PIPE IXes were shutdown then the pain isn't going to be felt by the companies that TPG are likely to see as competitors.

ie.   Optus, Telstra, AAPT would gain from increased revenue for transit and the larger national ISPs (iiNet, Internode, Primus etc) would be able to make arrangements for private peering amongst themselves and with large content suppliers (and others as appropriate).  TPG would see an increase in transit cost as well to the GoF unless they were able to negotiate a peering arrangement with all four of them.

This issue would be temporary whilst we all run around and build peering exchanges to fix the issue.  (The internet routes around problems).  Then the problem would be relieved.    Many of us would stand up and help solve this problem if it arose.

Even if the worst case happens the solutions to solve the problems will be quick to come to hand and take less time to build and solve than it would to close down the exchanges.

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs