[AusNOG] Carrier Independent Peering Exchange

Daragh Mc Grath lists at daraghmcg.org
Wed Dec 16 17:02:05 EST 2009

I'm glad to see this discussion has been kicked off here, it's something
I've thought about on and off over the past few years.

Having worked for a major European exchange in the past (LINX) I've been
disappointed by the approach to peering here in Australia since I moved
around 2 years ago. Not having the big telco's present at exchange points is
the obvious cause, and given their willingness to participate at other
exchange points around the world but not at home, this is disappointing.

I believe that unless you have the major players engaged, an alternative
exchange is not going to happen (or may do, but won't be as successful as it
should!). The best way of trying to encourage that is for an exchange to be
setup as outlined by MMC, mutually owned and most importantly, operate as a
not for profit. To quote LINX, existing for the good of the internet.

I will be following this thread with interest.

Daragh