[AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Sun Apr 12 19:12:34 EST 2009

James,

> I'm totally on the fence if this is a good idea, as Bev
> points out, I'd really like to see some numbers, market
> analysis, budgets and how many senior positions will be given
> to Telstra execs before I call it either way.

Completely agree.  I could be the biggest supporter of this.  Imagine if
we had real public consultations, serious subcommittee's with real
industry people about network architecture, design, interconnection,
regulatory considerations.  You know; real two-way, face-to-face
communication and brain storming.  People in rooms for days.
Whiteboards, public release of ideas and suggestions.  Sounds a bit like
the 2020 summit!  Get the industry involved and gain their trust, whilst
also getting the government to realise that there is significant benefit
in having the industry along for the journey.  Not this "here's a
discussion paper, please give us your thoughts" type rubbish, or "let's
get some consultants with little street cred in the industry to tell us
what we should do".

Come on - let's do this right for a change, because if anything the past
5 years and three initiatives have proven, Government DOESN'T know best.

[b]