[AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sun Apr 12 11:12:26 EST 2009

Tim McCullagh wrote:

> The issue is not is FTTH a good idea.  The issue is "is there demand
> and a need for it" and are consumers prepared to pay for it.  From the
> industry point of view "how will it operate and under what rules,
> costs etc etc that bevan eluded to".  Matthew have you ever dealt with
> DBCDE.  If you have you will probably know why this is important.
> They have no bloody idea about the industry and they will advise the
> government on how to draft the regulations.
Yep - as an access seeker we've dealt with all kinds of bits of
government and I agree with you about DBCDE.

I think that rather than assume failure, we need to at least, as an
industry, start working hard on ensuring that the outcomes match what we
want/need.   Are you a member of, for example, Communications Alliance?
I'm certainly hoping CA can take a bit of a lead in standards settings
etc in an NBN world.  If not CA, then some other appropriate body.

At the moment, because of history so far, we've ended up in a situation
where TLS have dominated the scene (and will continue to do so really)
and as such we haven't ended up with the competitor density to deliver
alternative last mile networks in brown fields areas.   We've got some
Optus cable, TransACT and a tiny bit with Bright.  None of which can be
claimed to be roaring successes.   We're only now seeing a tiny bit of
FTTP in some new areas.

So, the idea that commerical forces will create this network in the time
frame we want, when, as you both claim, this NBN FTTP thing is not
commercially viable, I think is being foolish.

The outcome I was hoping you'd both suggest is one where incentives are
put in place to build alternative LMN (Last-Mile-networks) and balance
TLS's vertical integration.   Many countries - Korea, Japan etc have
made large tax-incentives (some similar to the R&D 150% rebates here) to
ensure that the networks are built.  Japan has many more alternative
networks, even though NTT there is just as scary as TLS here.
The issues, as you've both suggested are commercial not technical.  So,
if the government had wanted to go down that path, they could have made
the right economic tweaks to start that happening.

The only problem is - GFC.   No one can borrow (see Bevan's issue with
"a mere US$100m").  So, guess what - the government has put itself in
play as the backer of the project so that it gets built!

Governments have a place in looking toward the future and making
decisions which (hopefully) set us in the right direction for the longer
term (yeah, you can be cynical, but it is the role of government).
Their current NBN decision is to try and set that infrastructure up and
get it moving early so that when we want it (10 years out) it's built
and ready.

Deep down I want many LMN.  I want commercial reality to triumph and to
have real infrastructure competition.   But the way the competitive
market place in Australia has occured due to the way TLS was sold off
has meant it either won't happen or it'll just take too long and affect
the economic outlook of our country.

If the NBN tries to sell it's ports for too much then it won't work.
The goverment needs the pricing to drive take up so it can get the
economic outcomes it desires.  So, I think the government will take a
bath on it.  It's the only way.

> I would rather be in Telstra's position than the NBN corporation, if I
> was I could turn NBN into a huge white elephant even with the
> government in the NBN corner.  That is not to say it won't hurt
> Telstra and this the shareholders like yours and my super funds.  You
> cannot unscramble an egg
You can't unscramble it, But you can cook it with parsley, milk and
cracked pepper and it's tasty.

MMC