[AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

lists technical at halenet.com.au
Sun Apr 12 10:16:31 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
  From: Matthew Moyle-Croft
  To: Rick Jones
  Cc: ausnog at ausnog.net ; 'Bevan Slattery'
  Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 11:52 PM
  Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

  As I've pointed out - the other stimulus package (the $900 one and other things) was $42b, that didn't have the expectation of "commercial return" etc.

  So on that basis, should the government build a new shopping centre in every town so that the taxpayer can subsidise cheaper groceries?
  That would be dumb

  And it ignores the fact that taxpayers are going to be taxed to the hilt to pay for it and the competition for investment funds will mean interest rates will go through the roof at some stage.  There will be a major hangover from all of his spending because it is not based on sustainable principles
  Regards

  Tim

  At least with this we get faster pr0n ...

  MMC

  Rick Jones wrote:
    I think that this is a great idea, and I don't think it has anything to do with being commercial or otherwise.  Giving out billions of dollars in payments to the public didn't have a financial return either.  It was an incentive package designed to achieve non-monetary goals.  This has a component of this too.  Forget the spin.  Part of this is about spending a portion of public monies in order to kick start a decent fibre infrastructure in Australia.  At some point in the future, the government of the day will get out of it and leave it to the industry to take it forward.

    So, if we are going to do some sums, do it with a consideration that part of the money will never be repaid, not in the commercial sense anyway.  The taxpayers will pay it back in the future.  Now, I doubt that this will be sold this way, not so close to a federal election anyway.   But nonetheless there is an element of nation-building here, doing something because someone thinks that it is in the country's long term interests.