[AusNOG] Conroy censoring dissent?

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Wed Nov 12 15:19:49 EST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Jasper Bryant-Greene
<jasper at unleash.co.nz>wrote:

> (this is a little OT but I think people should get the facts straight)

(ok, since we're being pedantic...)

> The iPhone does have proper GPS.

Correct.

> A-GPS /is/ "proper" GPS, with the added feature of fast startup time
> due to the ability to obtain a rough location from the cell sites and/
> or download an almanac and ephemeris data via the cell network.

Not necessarily.  Whilst that is true of many A-GPS units (Including the
iPhone), it's not true of all A-GPS units.

Many A-GPS phones, especially earlier models in the US, use a form of A-GPS
called Mobile Station Assisted (MS-Assisted), where the "network" carries
out the calculations to determine actual location.  This works well for the
E911 system as most phones will only ever need to make a very small number,
if any, of GPS lookups in their lifetime and thus there's a saving on the
in-phone CPU requirements.  Of course, Moore's law makes that less of an
issue every day...

  Scott.