[AusNOG] Conroy censoring dissent?

Sean K. Finn Sean.Finn at ozservers.com.au
Wed Nov 12 13:58:16 EST 2008

I don't think they'll care all that much if you are getting around the filters, Here's why:

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/lib310554/isp-level_internet_content_filtering_trial-report.pdf

of the filters tested, they rated the probability of circumvention against each type of content filtered, so they're already aware that it WILL be worked around. Think of circumvention as collateral damage that they are prepared to accept.

'Low' circumvention probably means 'anyone with a clue and who cares'.

Yes, the members of this list are able to get around it in a thousand creative ways, but for Joe average are they really going to be bothered setting up a VPN or workaround, or just say 'stuff it, off to the pub', and commit their sins in Meatspace instead?

It's crowd control, as long as they establish filtering as 'normal' then they've won the battle, regardless of if you can get around it or not.

-Sean.