[AusNOG] Conroy censoring dissent?

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Wed Nov 12 08:55:48 EST 2008

On 11/11/2008, at 9:11 AM, Noel Butler wrote:

> So that means start it a week or so before Christmas and possibly
> end it at the end of January, awesome!   Run the trial and get
> results with minimum impact when everybody is away on holidays and
> not at home using the net as they usually would be to experience the
> real world affects this will have on them... very clever ... not.

Oh, and use all the network engineering staff who will be away on
holidays
to make it all happen. :-)

> I wonder what this joke of a Senator will do if all ISP's reneged in
> participating in the trial, or turned around and said sure, but lets
> do it in February when we can simulate actual 'real world' conditions.

On the latter suggestion, I suspect they'd take it.  Everything else
in the
trial is so rubbery that I doubt they'd balk at making the schedule
rubbery
too.

A better question I'd ask is why run the trial at all, given that
there are
ISPs out there who have been doing this on a production basis for years
already?  The Minister keeps saying he's consulting industry, so why
didn't he just ask them?  "How much money have you made out of this
stuff anyway, guys?  And does it actually work?"

   - mark

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Pty Ltd                         Desk:   +61-8-82282999