[AusNOG] native v6 transit?

Richard Pruss ric at cisco.com
Fri Mar 21 20:43:22 EST 2008

On 19/03/2008, at 10:37 PM, Kim Davies wrote:
> On 19/03/08 8:33 AM, "Stephen Baxter"
> <Stephen.Baxter at staff.pipenetworks.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback Matthew. We would welcome a chat about the
>> best
>> way not to cause operational issues - as mentioned this effort is to
>> help the community get more 6 aware.
>
> You could take the dog food approach recently demonstrated at other
> venues,
> and make the next AusNOG a v6-only affair. Or would that drive away
> attendance? :)

Allot seems to have been learnt by the community during the dog food
tasting sessions, here is a small collection of the postings things
learnt to date (collected by Ralph Droms in case you wondering which
Ralph).
Slashdot: "<The Night the IETF Shut Off IPv4": IP Freely writes "At
this year's Internet Engineering Task Force meeting in Philadelphia,
conference organizers shut off IPv4 for an hour. Surprisingly, chaos
did not ensue. After everyone got his or her system up and running,
many people started looking for IPv6-reachable web sites, reporting
those over Jabber instant messaging - which posed its own challenges
in the IPv6 department. I was surprised at the number of sites and
wide range of content available over IPv6. Apart from - obviously -
IPv6-related sites; they ranged from 'largest Gregorian music
collection in Internet' to 'hardcore torrents.' Virtually none of the
better known web destinations were reachable over IPv6. That changed
when ipv6.google.com (reachable only through IPv6) popped into
existence."

(Ralph) I was at the IETF meeting and participated in the experiment.
After manually configuring addresses for two IPv6-reachable DNS
servers (for ideological reasons, Apple has not included a DHCPv6
client with OS X), IPv6 "just worked" for me. I used Safari
extensively throughout the experiment, and found there were more IPv6-
reachable sites than I expected, but ipv6.google.com was the only
major site I could access. Halfway through the experiment, we were
given IPv6 addresses for access to gmail. I also participated in the
experiment Jabber chat room, accessible through an IPv6-aware Jabber
server set up by the IETF, through both Adium and iChat.
More details area available here:

ISOC wiki page on "IETF71 IPv4 Outage"
ISOC blog for experiences with the experiment, including several
useful lists of IPv6-accessible websites
IPv4 / IPv6 Operational Information Collection

NANOG runs "IPv6 hour": an hour of IPv6-only networking on the
conference network
...there's just not a lot of native IPv6 content, yet
IPv6<->IPv6 translation is problematic (including Cisco NAT-PT)
Windows XP can be patched with an IPv6 stack but needs IPv4 for DNS
OS X requires manual config for DNS servers (no DHCPv6!)
Some details about the NANOG event
A similar event at APRICOT
Pre-event article by Jeff Doyle (Network World)
Post-mortem by Doyle
- Ric