[AusNOG] Small Pipe BNE/Agile issue

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sun Jun 15 10:54:34 EST 2008

James Spenceley wrote:

> We are about to bring up the Any2 MLPA in San Jose and they (from
> first glance) don't actually send the route-server AS in the path,
> which is really cool.
>
> I'm not sure how they do it, but this is from their technical FAQ.
>
> "no bgp enforce-first-as, This is due to the fact that a route server
> doesn't send itself (its AS and IP you peer with in the next hop - it
> sends you the AS and IP of the peer's next hop)."
If it wasn't global I'd probably be okay with it - but on our US routers
at least it's a global setting and I believe gives some risk.
> I was talking about routing policy, the relationship is bilateral
> between you and the route-sever, they decide the "global" policy.
That's the problem - _I_ want to decide global policy for me - not
someone else's route server.  I point to the discussion above and below
you're making about trying to deaggregate to influence policy - clearly
YOU also want to control global policy.

> I'm not asking anyone to accept >/24s just saying that it actually a
> very valid way to traffic engineer, some people seem to have take
> offense at being sent routes >/24 and if they want to filter go ahead.
> I'll keep my options open.
So, would you like a fence to sit on here James? :-)

MMC