[AusNOG] Small Pipe BNE/Agile issue

James Spenceley james at vocus.com.au
Sun Jun 15 11:21:28 EST 2008

>> I was talking about routing policy, the relationship is bilateral
>> between you and the route-sever, they decide the "global" policy.
> That's the problem - _I_ want to decide global policy for me - not
> someone else's route server.  I point to the discussion above and
> below you're making about trying to deaggregate to influence policy
> - clearly YOU also want to control global policy.

Yes, I do and the great thing about BGP is there are so many tools.

The argument that I should have the *right* to decide where my traffic
goes, is in no way more valid than I should have the *right* to decide
how I get my traffic. In the end its a technical function in a
router ... as path beats neighbour address, lpref beats AS path,
specific route beats lpref. Everyone has the required tools to
implement their policies.

>> I'm not asking anyone to accept >/24s just saying that it actually
>> a very valid way to traffic engineer, some people seem to have take
>> offense at being sent routes >/24 and if they want to filter go
>> ahead. I'll keep my options open.
> So, would you like a fence to sit on here James? :-)

Ha, fair cop. So here it is in black and white. A lot of the world
relies on AS path for path selection, or incorrectly uses local-pref.
I think its valid that we de-aggregate to the Peering / MLPAs to
ensure the most amount of traffic stays on the IX. If you have a bunch
of traffic rich /24 then there is no reason you shouldn't advertise
the /25 to get the same effect.

--
James