[AusNOG] James is still a nice guy - For APNIC EC - any comments?

Sunny sunny at apnic.net
Thu Jul 31 15:10:29 EST 2008

Hi Steve

Please see my comments in line

Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> I wrote this in my original email which perhaps should have been sent
> separately.
>
> Re James going for a position on the Board or EC of APNIC, I can’t think
> many people more appropriate or respected in this industry with his
> experience that I would heartily support.
>
> Given Bambi’s failed attempt to get on the E.C, primarily because of
> lack of organisations for proxy votes (I too was slack), I think we can
> put a much more serious effort in at AUSNOG.  So what I am proposing is
> that at AUSNOG we have the proxy forms available for any of you to sign
> who aren’t a) expressing their vote directly b) want to help the
> Australian internet community.
>
> I’ve spoken to the guys at APNIC on a number of occasions who are
> disappointed with the lack of Australian representation on the E.C, and
> overall general disappoint in the amount of people involved in policies
> and so on.

It's great to see that you are encouraging the Australian community to
get involved with APNIC. I just wanted to clarify a couple of points
about elections and policy development.

In terms of the APNIC EC, APNIC Secretariat is always neutral. We are
here to serve the APNIC membership and work with whoever the members
choose to elect to the EC.

Regarding policy development, APNIC encourages participation from all
economies in the Asia Pacific region. We'd certainly welcome greater
participation in all aspects of APNIC activities from the Australian
community.

I look forward to seeing many of you at the upcoming APNIC 26 in
Christchurch, New Zealand. If you can't make it across the Tasman Sea,
we'd love to see you online. For more information about joining us in
Christchurch or using remote participation, see:

     http://www.apnic.net/meetings/26

Regards
Sunny

Srinivas (Sunny) Chendi                 email:       sunny at apnic.net