[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion, APNIC EC, and James is a nice bloke ; -)

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 23 17:03:34 EST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>
> > Things will move on - there will be more focus on predictable things.
> > eg.  with so MUCH address space we'll focus more on discovery of other
> > devices.   This'll lead to a focus on end-device discovery using other
> > means rather than port scans.   Harvesting addresses through other means
> > (email headers etc?)
>
> I was going to reply to this thread earlier but it might've been construed
> as ranting. (Me? ranting? Never.)
>
> One word - P2P. Or three words. Anyway, its the easiest way to figure out
> active IPv6 endpoints without ever really giving away that you're collating
> data.

So my toaster^Wprinter is going to be filesharing? http://dmca.cs.washington.edu/
More seriously, Bonjour is a pretty good way to enumerate devices.

Back to the point, what's really needed is a well-specified way for
clients behind a firewall to request incoming ports to be opened. IPv4 has
this with UPnP-IGD (MS) and NAT-PMP (Apple), but neither works for IPv6.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-woodyatt-ald-02 is Apple's IPv6 proposal.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-despres-v6ops-apbp-01.txt
targets a slightly different problem, an IPv4 device with a private
address requesting an IPv4 IP/port over IPv6.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-02.txt
has the current list of security recommendations for gateway CPE.

The real issues with IPv6 deployment are not whether you can ping my
fridge, but entirely shit CPE and dealing with multi-level NAT - see the
v6ops mailing list for some of the crazy but necessary workarounds being
proposed. http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2008/

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |