[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion, APNIC EC, and James is a nice bloke ; -)

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Jul 23 17:12:21 EST 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008, James Andrewartha wrote:

> > One word - P2P. Or three words. Anyway, its the easiest way to figure out
> > active IPv6 endpoints without ever really giving away that you're collating
> > data.
>
> So my toaster^Wprinter is going to be filesharing? http://dmca.cs.washington.edu/
> More seriously, Bonjour is a pretty good way to enumerate devices.

How do you know it won't be?

Anyway, the P2P is to identify which subnets have >1 active IPv6 host. The current
allocation best-practices allocate a large swath of IP space per user, sure, but
you assume that the embedded device vendors are smart and don't just embed MAC
addresses inside their v6 IPs. If they do, well, its not 2^124 anymore, is it?

And besides, all it takes is your fridge to talk to your supermarket directly
and that site to be hacked; suddenly you know where all the fridges are. :)
(Again, it may sound facetious, but come on, haven't we learnt from the last
few years of IP networking that this stuff can and will happen?)

> The real issues with IPv6 deployment are not whether you can ping my
> fridge, but entirely shit CPE and dealing with multi-level NAT - see the
> v6ops mailing list for some of the crazy but necessary workarounds being
> proposed. http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2008/

Well, thats a problem for v4 as well as v6.

People keep buying shit CPEs and then wonder why they're shit. Of course its
going to be frustrating. :)

Adrian
(Never, ever suggest multi-level NAT around me. I had to deal with it when
government departments tried linking up. Through PIXes. And NATs. Argh.)