[AusNOG] Tiny Load Balancers in Australia.

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Tue Aug 5 15:52:42 EST 2008

A quick google search throws up a lot of options:

This one looks pretty good: http://haproxy.1wt.eu/

MMC

On 05/08/2008, at 2:33 PM, Sean K. Finn wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I’m pulling my hair out trying to find two *tiny* load balancers for
> a remote server installation to balance IP traffic / http requests
> to two web servers.
>
> Does anyone know a local Australian source of entry-level load
> balancers?
>
> At most I’d need to balance between 10mbps to 100mbps between two
> servers.
>
> IPv4 is fine.
>
> What I’m really after is a unit that has vrrp or something like it
> so the units have their own failover capability if one dies, plus
> the necessary traffic direction between two servers. (nothing fancy
> required session wise on the load balancers, just pure traffic
> redirection).
>
> This is an excercise in application redundancy and not necessarily
> performance.
>
> (Vendors please note: Feel free to post off list, vendor offers
> welcome, but if you want to take me on the three week hump me and
> dump me vendor dating trail, please don’t.
> I need this gear ASAP and don’t want to fork out 20 to 40 grand for
> two ‘entry level’ 750mbps units as they are overkill, neither do I
> want you to take me to lunch and build a relationship before you
> give me pricing.
> I need something tiny but dependable, and I need to get the ball
> rolling ASAP)
>
> If anyone has any recommendations for gear-to-purchase or
> alternatively a software solution on server-based hardware, I’m all
> ears.
>
> Best Regards,
> Sean.

Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au    Web: http://www.on.net
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909		     Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909