[AusNOG] Tiny Load Balancers in Australia.

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Tue Aug 5 15:57:54 EST 2008

I've had some success with nginx: http://nginx.net/
From: ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net [ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net] On Behalf Of Matthew Moyle-Croft [mmc at internode.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, 5 August 2008 3:52 PM
To: Sean K. Finn
Cc: ausnog at ausnog.net
Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Tiny Load Balancers in Australia.

A quick google search throws up a lot of options:

This one looks pretty good: http://haproxy.1wt.eu/

MMC

On 05/08/2008, at 2:33 PM, Sean K. Finn wrote:

Hi All,

I’m pulling my hair out trying to find two *tiny* load balancers for a remote server installation to balance IP traffic / http requests to two web servers.

Does anyone know a local Australian source of entry-level load balancers?

At most I’d need to balance between 10mbps to 100mbps between two servers.

IPv4 is fine.

What I’m really after is a unit that has vrrp or something like it so the units have their own failover capability if one dies, plus the necessary traffic direction between two servers. (nothing fancy required session wise on the load balancers, just pure traffic redirection).

This is an excercise in application redundancy and not necessarily performance.

(Vendors please note: Feel free to post off list, vendor offers welcome, but if you want to take me on the three week hump me and dump me vendor dating trail, please don’t.
I need this gear ASAP and don’t want to fork out 20 to 40 grand for two ‘entry level’ 750mbps units as they are overkill, neither do I want you to take me to lunch and build a relationship before you give me pricing.
I need something tiny but dependable, and I need to get the ball rolling ASAP)

If anyone has any recommendations for gear-to-purchase or alternatively a software solution on server-based hardware, I’m all ears.

Best Regards,
Sean.