[AusNOG] fq_codel/cake/libreqos beta testers wanted

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 21:42:14 AEDT 2023

A) I have always been curious to what extent, if any, fq_codel, or
cake made it into any CPE and home routers or deployment, down under?
Or is it all policers?

I remember Mark Nottingham ran cake for a while, then ran a heat gun
on edgerouter X he was using... (it was a hilarious picture, I don´t
remember what forum it was on?)

B) For the last 9 months I have been helping out the libreqos.io
project leverage xdp, ebpf, rust, and cake (in diffserv4 mode) to
build a high performance transparent bridge to better shape traffic.

We have got it to where it can push 25Gbits at about 40% of cpu on 16
cores on a xeon gold for about 10k ISP subscribrs on various plans. We
are now in rc2 on the v1.4 release, which has a bunch more speedups
and analytical tools. Another cool feature in it is "on a stick" mode
where it can go inband on a single port and do the magic across vlans.

I (wearing my scientist hat) am very interested in evaluating network
behaviors and performance at a mixture of shorter and longer RTTs and
fiber vs wireless transports. Is there anyone down there willing to
put this inline on their network? It´s pretty stable code, now, I
think... I'm pretty sure... and takes about 20 minutes to get setup
(most of which is compiling the rust)

https://github.com/LibreQoE/LibreQoS/wiki/v1.4 has the install
instructions (for the truly daring there is the "heimdall" branch where
the post 1.4 work is going) and we did a podcast about it here:
https://packetpushers.net/podcast/heavy-networking-666-improving-quality-of-experience-with-libreqos/

thx for any help you can offer!

--
I keep wondering if sqrt(flows) bdp is correct:
https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/juniper/