[AusNOG] Aussie Broadband Outage

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Mon Mar 13 16:00:33 AEDT 2023

This isn't the first time Vocus have lost power both A and B feeds to a DC.

Happened in NSW I believe a year or two back.

The fact they lost both A and B feeds is just frankly bad design and should never happen.

That said this is why anything critical shouldn't be housed in a single Datacentre and should be load balanced between a few or at the very least any decent business grade provider should be able to provide you with backup connectivity in the case of internet. Even 4G or 5G backup connectivity is better than nothing.

This isn't hard to organize for most business grade providers and is the difference between a proper business grade provider and one selling business services on a residential grade network.

Any decent provider should be able to give you multiple Fibre links if required as well.

For redundancy I'd go NextDC M2 as that is on a totally separate power grid or even Micron21 for primary both these facilities are tier 4 so you can't go wrong.

I certainly know Micron21 have backup facilities that work at any rate, I actually thought Vocus had sold and was getting out of the Datacentre space altogether.

The Equinix facility in port Melbourne is decent as well.

I'd go Equinix or NextDc or both before Vocus for reliability. The Vocus Fibre network is still ok as you get a few months free if you contract for long enough and it does the job.

Regards Chad.