[AusNOG] Shipping equipment to the US - Courier Recommendations

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 14:08:33 AEST 2022

Some tips for international transport of kit to USA:

   - The main reason you're doing this at all is because the local sales
   rep for your vendor doesn't get a commission if they sell directly into
   someone else's territory, maybe figure out who the "someone else" is
   - Customs helps American vendors keep counterfeit goods out of the
   country, which means importing American vendors to USA automatically looks
   suss
   - Global Insurance policies for Australian companies sometimes have a
   carve-out in the fine print that doesn't cover you for the USA (no really,
   go and read your policy!)
   - Shipping routers costs more than return plane tickets for a person,
   but if you try and import routers as luggage you will learn the hard way
   that you should have paid for shipping
   - Fedex have their own bonded warehouse facilities which makes it harder
   for them to lose things in transit if they get complicated with customs
   - If you are taking kit for demo purposes and plan to bring it back with
   you, it may simplify travel to google what a Carnet is

John