[AusNOG] EVERYONE should have a Stratum 1 time server, right?

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Tue Nov 15 03:18:36 AEDT 2022

On 14Nov22, John Edwards allegedly wrote:
> FWIW, when I was working with vendor-H design folks on building an LTE/5G
> network in 2016, best practice was to move away from using GPS for time
> sync on mobile sites and trust Synchronous Ethernet from central sources
> instead.

Is this mainly for high-density micro-sites?

And by "Synchronous Ethernet" do you mean PTP?

I also presume these "central sources" ultimately get traceable time from GPS.

I ask because I still see cell towers being deployed today with provision for GPS
equipment. In fact Telstra have proposed one near by and the public schematics clearly
show GPS kit. But that's more your traditional urban monster sitting 30+ meters off the
ground.

I can easily imagine that for 5G micro-sites deployed in every second building in a city,
that a centralized dissemination model makes a lot of sense, but it's still at heart
GPS-based, tho likely something a little more sophisticated than a $40 hat/shield :-)

> tunnels, or just clouds

Tunnels. Sure. But clouds are not a problem. As I understand it, the US military are
rather keen on being able to target their munitions in all weather conditions.

Mark.