[AusNOG] EVERYONE should have a Stratum 1 time server, right?

Rob Thomas xrobau at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 07:37:56 AEDT 2022

The good news is, you now can!  After about 6 months of wrangling bits and
pieces together, "Honest" Rob's Used Car (and VoIP) Emporium has finally
managed to get a bunch of custom made GPS Shields built and they are
sitting right next to me here in Australia, suitable for lego-esque
construction of your own NTP server!

These are being sold at pretty much cost - AUD$30 ex - as a pro-bono thing
for those who want their very own Stratum 1 NTP server. All you need to do
is supply your own Raspberry Pi or equivalent - you just need something
with a clock speed over 1ghz and standard GPIO pins.

But wait, there's more! You don't NEED to buy this specific hardware - if
you already have a GPS device with a PPS signal, you can just fork and hack
on the repo that started this:

https://github.com/xrobau/rpi-ntp  (Note: that locks down SSH to key only,
and *only* puts my key in there, don't just run it blindly without at least
adding your ssh pubkey!)

This all started because we needed more IPv6 NTP servers in the Asia
Pacific region, and it was annoyingly hard to find plug-and-play hardware.
I'm really hoping that a bunch of you lot will buy a few, and put them up
as public servers with IPv6 addresses on ntppool.org.

https://freepbxhosting.com.au/s/gps-v1/

I also have them up on eBay, for $40 each, but that's for the public, not
for the cool kids club that is AusNog.

Currently I can only ship to AU and NZ, but that's purely because I'm lazy
and haven't figured out the costs. For those outside the North, South and
West islands of New Zealand, feel free to reach out to me off list with
your address and I'll figure something out.

--"Honest" Rob