[AusNOG] Fwd: NBN FTTP router recommendations 200MBps+

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:11:49 AEST 2022

On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 4:55 PM Mitch Kelly <mitchkelly24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi have been repurposing Meraki mx60's to OpenWrt, they route at full line speed (about 2.8Gbit) perhaps this is a route you can take with the old meraki's

That's wonderful! Especially given all the supply chain problems we
have, and all the "junk" hardware that can take a new OS to make it
useful...

I've been kicking this "upgrade in place" proposal around with various
folk now, for 3+ years. But to do a centralized recycle routers
campaign
does require a lot of common routers.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T21on7g1MqQZoK91epUdxLYFGdtyLRgBat0VXoC9e3I/edit

Still, it's near and dear to my heart, as I'm just naturally frugal in
the first place, and hate all the ewaste. We could upgrade the whole
edge of the
internet to better routers in a matter of months with just what lies
in the trash bin. The routers I still have in the field from the
cerowrt project do 50Mbit symmetric beautifully with modern software,
with outrageous uptimes, based on a now 14 year old design. I fully
expect the wndr3800 series to still be operational 10+ years from now.

> Happy to document a quick how-to.

How common is meraki? All I know about them is that they finally
delivered ipv6 late last year, and they shipped SFQ + click codel in
2013. (Yes, I'm rather limited on the other aspects of the edge!). It
looked like a pretty good chipset when I last looked them over.

I'm trying to get numbers on doing effective shaping via cake. The
eero 6 dropped cake in favor of an offload that runs fast but doesn't
work well. the users are disappointed.

> I've put 256gb SSD's in two of them.

I really like that ability to gather captures and stash them on a usb
stick, or ssd. storage is so cheap these days, weird stuff on the
network so common.