[AusNOG] Peering with AWS through MegaIX

Lincoln Dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Fri Jul 22 10:52:32 AEST 2022

[replying to something from a year ago but it's still relevant]

> Generally if your doing larger amounts of traffic and if you can afford
it getting
>  direct connectivity to AWS and Azure will work better anyway.

we prefer private peering aka PNI (see https://aws.amazon.com/peering/)
over IX, but via IX is fine too. We peer with many folks via IX.
If via IX, we prefer it via bilateral peering session across the IX, not
via route-server, for security reasons.

if you want a SLA attached to traffic to/from us, then Direct Connect is
the way to go.

 > All the Microsoft stuff connects through NSW Edgeix and then through
Vocus they
 > MS and AWS tend to prefer transit now a days.

I can't speak for Microsoft, but for AWS this is not accurate. We prefer
peering over transit, every day of the week.

cheers,

lincoln.