[AusNOG] ISDN shutdown 31 May 2022

Geoff Huston gih902 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 05:17:39 AEDT 2022

https://museum.media.org/invisible.net/project/tpc.int.html

Carl Malamud was behind this in 1993 - you did not need to register anything - the entire E.164 number space was mapped into tpc.int Given that at the time the phone companies were making almost all their long distance revenues from faxes it was an early effort to bypass their monopoly. We ran a fax printing service for +61 at the time and we accepted incoming faxes and resent it as a “real” fax to the domestic number. We (Peter Elford and myself) thought it was mildly amusing at the time.

Geoff