[AusNOG] "Telstra" scammers still at it...

Rob Thomas xrobau at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 19:09:43 AEDT 2022

Can I *please* encourage everyone to answer any suspicious call, wait
a few seconds, and then hang up. This does a couple of things.

1. It tells us (the carriers) that it's a suspicious call. We have
reports on short-length calls, and if one of our clients is making 10k
calls a day, of which 80% are 2 seconds long, that rings many MANY
alarm bells.
2. Even if it's a carrier who is fast asleep, they're still going to
charge the scammer for an answered call. No-one's getting free calls,
no matter who they're dealing with. Answering the call, even for a few
seconds, means it's costing them money.

If it's NOT a scam call, and it's a real person, they'll call back. If
it's a scam call, the auto-dialler will mark it as 'scammed', and move
on to the next person.

Feel free to share this around - this isn't rocket science, but if
people don't know, they're not going to do it.

tl;dr: Answer the scam call, wait 2 seconds at least, hang up.

--Rob