[AusNOG] AusNOG 2.0

Jacob Taylor jake at taylornetworks.com.au
Tue Apr 12 14:08:58 AEST 2022

I think this conversation has diverged from the actual issue into an
argument of semantics. Categorically, the event in question did not occur
at a sanctioned AusNOG event. However, as Nathan states, to suggest that in
itself is enough for us to wash our hands is pretty reductive.

I don't think anyone, including Narelle, has implied AusNOG (either
the organisation or the community at large) is at fault/liable/whatever
here. The overwhelming majority of delegates behaved appropriately and were
rightfully appalled by this behaviour.

The point of calling this out is not to suggest AusNOG is a wretched hive
of scum and misogyny, because it isn't. It exists to highlight that bad
behaviour can and does exist in our industry (and, indeed, across all
industries).

We as an industry can do better, and I know this as I am a member of the
LGBTQIA+ community. I can assuredly state I have never felt unwelcome
amongst my industry peers at AusNOG or elsewhere, but I have felt the sting
of subtle discrimination at past employers.

I want all networking professionals to feel welcome in the industry, at
AusNOG and elsewhere. The first step to achieving that is to craft our
community into a space where, should the worst occur, those on the
receiving end feel empowered to speak up and call it out.

This in turn will deprive potential perpetrators of silence as a shield,
and hence will impact their behaviour.

I think we're hurtling down the slippery slope of the OT thread though, so
I'll leave it there.

Cheers,
Jake