[AusNOG] Global DNS yuck?

Lachlan Gilmour lachlan.gilmour at surfpacific.com.au
Fri Oct 1 12:40:08 EST 2021

I believe it is related to the Lets Encrypt root cert that expired
overnight.

I've seen quite a few older devices today having issues accessing sites
using lets encrypt certs.

More info on the issue can be found here:
https://docs.certifytheweb.com/docs/kb/kb-202109-letsencrypt/

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 12:36 PM Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> More correctly they had working DNSSEC deployed (
> https://dnsviz.net/d/slack.com/YVXX_g/dnssec/) and then pulled both the
> DS records for slack.com and the DNSSEC records in slack.com AT THE SAME
> TIME resulting in DNSSEC validation failures. Cached DS records said
> slack.com is signed but the answers from the slack.com servers where
> missing the DNSSEC records. They failed to wait for the DS records to
> expire from DNS caches before removing the DNSSEC records in slack.com.
> Failure to wait for unsigned responses to clear caches before publishing DS
> records can also cause issues with multiple levels of caching.
>
> > On 1 Oct 2021, at 08:23, Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > They broke (and subsequently fixed) their DNSSEC configuration many
> hours ago, but it was broken long enough to get cached by some servers for
> up to 24 hours so some users are still having issues connecting.
> >
> > Short of the classic "have your ISP clear their DNS cache" not much
> anyone can do except wait it out...
> >
> > https://status.slack.com/2021-09/06c1e17de93e7dc2
> >
> >   Scott
> >

> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 3:19 PM Andrew Yager <andrew at rwts.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Slack is down and finding a few other (non slack) services etc being
> broken seemingly with DNS things. Anyone know what’s going on?

> --
> Mark Andrews, ISC
> PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka at isc.org

Lachlan Gilmour

w : surfpacific.com.au
p : +61 7 5571 1161 <+61755711161>
f : +61 7 5676 6652
e : lachlan.gilmour at surfpacific.com.au

: Suite 30307, Level 3, Tower 3 Southport Central Commercial,
  9 Lawson Street, Southport, Queensland 4215, Australia.

<http://remote.surfpacific.com/>
*Legal Notice:* If this email message is received by other than the named
addressee(s), then the recipient is requested immediately to notify us and
delete the email from the recipient’s computer memory and to destroy all
hard and other copies of it. Privilege is not waived or lost by reason of a
mistaken delivery or transmission to other than the addressee. Please