[AusNOG] Internode/Telstra PSTN managed disconnect woes

Elliott Willink elliott at willink.net.au
Mon Feb 22 12:13:27 EST 2021

Hi all,

I've got a fun one with a customer who had an NBN managed disconnect on their PSTN line. Had plenty of these in the past and I've always been able to get a decent outcome from either the service provider or Telstra, but not today.

Customer had a plain old Telstra PSTN line (billed as "NodeLine" from Internode) which they have had diverted to a VoIP service through what we believe was a plain old *21# divert for the past 3+ years.

Managed disconnect has come along and killed the PSTN number, and Internode is telling them they have no way to reactivate it as the customer doesn't have an Internode internet connection. They are saying the only option is for them to order a new Internode NBN service, at which time they can re-activate the number (as a CDNO), and that this is a 14+ day process.

In the past Telstra has been happy to activate the numbers as CDNO's/Diversions on our business Telstra account (turn-around time of a few hours) but this time around Telstra is saying Internode must re-activate this number as it is allocated to them in Telstra's system. Telstra has confirmed the process takes a few hours once Internode requests it (to activate a diversion) but Internode is giving a timeframe of 14 days to order the NBN & re-active the number as a diversion. They have also said we can't port the number out until it has been re-activated by Internode.

I suspect this is a "computer says no" situation where Internode doesn't have a product to re-bill a CDNO/diversion stand-alone. If we have to go down the path of a new Internode NBN service just to get this going then that is OK, but the customer would rather not wait 14 days of having a disconnected number. Anyone come across this before, or anyone from Internode/TPG/Telstra that may be able to shed some light on the fastest way to get this going?

Thanks (and sorry for the noise),

Elliott