[AusNOG] SSL packet inspection security

Nathan kosh at nervhq.com
Thu Aug 19 14:43:12 EST 2021

Sorry I'm a bit late, but since its SSL the SNI header can be used and
inspected (which is only in the handshake so it's not inspecting _all_ the
packets) and use that for filtering, I know there's a netfilter module to
do it (quick google found https://github.com/Lochnair/xt_tls), I think
JunOS can do it
https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/feature-info.html?fKey=7646&fn=Server%20Name%20Indication%20(SNI)%20for%20Web%20filtering
and probably most of the others when you get to certain levels of licensing.

The benefit is you don't need to MITM the SSL connection, the SNI is sent
in clear-text and is even part of the first packet in the handshake (lots
of application level proxies use this to route TLS connections without
terminating them, like haproxy).

Cheers,
Kosh