[AusNOG] Swap Beer for Doubling/Tripling Included CVC

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sun Mar 22 17:41:42 EST 2020

On Sun, 2020-03-22 at 16:10 +1100, Jason Leschnik wrote:
> > Fibre to the house was the original correct design.
> Sorry formy uneducated understanding but how practical would have
> fibre to the home end-to-end across the country really been? I'm sure
> this is something Bevan might understand with his experience truck
> rolling fibre installs. But surely backhoe-ing the whole country is a
> nice idea in theory but surely this would have never scaled/taken a
> long time/cost a lot of money?
>
> I don't condone the approach taken but surely a phased/mixed approach
> is how things normally end up in the real world?

In infrastructure, too little expenditure usually results in something
that is unfit for purpose, or at best serves only for a short while
before requiring replacement. This is what has happened with the NBN.

People said it would cost too much. The problem is that it has cost too
little. Almost any extreme level of expenditure would have paid off in
in the medium to long term - yes, even running a thousand kilometres of
fibre out to Kikakanalong. The benefit of NOT mixing modes is also
extreme. It might cost an absolute motza, but it pays the country back
a thousand times over.

Unlike the sad little Gollum that the NBN has become.

The NBN was deep-sixed by an utter lack of vision, cynical political
tactics and a flat refusal to acknowledge the incredible array of other
advantages that would come from a dependable high-speed network over
the entire country (and therefore a refusal to allow said advantages to
"cross-subsidise" the network).

Words simply cannot express the loathing I feel for the scum that
f*cked over an entire country for short term political gain in this
respect.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
http://twitter.com/kauer389

GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D