[AusNOG] Telstra IPv6 Wireless Enablement - IPv6 Single Stack

Peter Tonoli peter+ausnog at metaverse.org
Thu Feb 6 16:03:57 EST 2020

Hi Russell,

This is great news.

On 6/2/20 3:27 pm, Russell Langton wrote:
> Hi AusNOGgers,
>
> Following our dual-stack enablement in Aug 2016, Telstra is proud the
> announce the second step in our transition to IPv6 -  IPv6
> Single-Stack deployment on Telstra wireless.
> This means shortly when you attach your mobile to Telstra.WAP APN it
> will only get an Ipv6 address NO Ipv4 address.
>

>  * Basic flow *
> - If Alice is connecting to a website with a Ipv6 AAAA DNS record, It
> will be a pure Ipv6 connection.
> - If Alice is connecting to a website with only a A DNS record, our
> DNS will spoof the website address with a Well Known Prefix (WKP) so
> it routes to the NAT64 gateway to Ipv4 internet.
> - If Alice is connecting to a Ipv4 address literal(x.x.x.x), It may fail.

I hope this is not a naive question:

Is there a higher chance of brokenness when users choose to use other
DNS services (i.e. Cloudflare / DoH), apart from Telstra, due to the
lack of WKP in the response from those providers?

Cheers,
Peter.

--
Peter Tonoli
Vice Chair, Electronic Frontiers Australia <https://efa.org.au> -
<https://peter.tono.li> E: peter at metaverse.org
L: au.linkedin.com/in/petertonoli M: +61413982000