[AusNOG] Low cost OLT or OLT emulator? Why not?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 03:30:57 EST 2020

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020, 06:28 Mark Tees <marktees at gmail.com> wrote:

> It depends what your ultimate goal is? Just for play/learning etc or other?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, indeed, the first. My experience is limited to
pulling drop Fibre and have a handful working OLTs on my desk.

Complex service OLT is going to be $2-3k at least on eBay.

Unfortunately that's what I saw.

> The thing is though GPON is not very vendor inter-operable. There are
> exceptions.

Yes, Ubiquiti ONTs can be configured in Huawei emulation mode etc.

> There are also SFP modules that have integrated OLT’s that I have heard of
> people using with Cisco routers wit

h third party ONT.

Now this sounds very interesting. First time I hear about this.

Any nanes/links to deepen my research? Thanks in advance.

If you want to learn you could pick a particular vendor and see if they
> have training. Cisco, Calix, Adtran, Nokia etc may have training material
> and have the ability to do labs.

Yes, that's a good idea. In a "normal" context that's something I'd pursue.
But in this covid context, I'm stuck homeworking for the time being.

I wanted to check if there was some sort of "nVidia jetson with two optical
transceivers turns into a micro OLT" kind of thing.

It seems I'll have to wait until someone else does it. Which I'm sure they
will, sooner or later.

FC