[AusNOG] My condolences to the people trying to sort out remote learning

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Apr 20 10:10:11 EST 2020

FWIW, I’ve been looking at a lot of the options, and I know a lot of other people who have as well, for various school districts and universities, and the best option (mainly from a not-exposing-children-to-malware-and-naked-Nazi-zoombombers perspective) is BigBlueButton.  It’s open-source, well-supported, and runs entirely sandboxed in the browser, HTML5, like Jitsi, but with an online-classroom focus rather than a business-meeting focus.

https://github.com/bigbluebutton/bigbluebutton

That said, I’m not trying to use it in production myself.  Friends who are say it’s mostly great, but the audio quality isn’t as good as some of the commercial options.  Which isn’t surprising.  Audio noise cancellation is the subject of a million patents, and patent-trolls.