[AusNOG] its 2020 youd think NBN would prevent this

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Mon Apr 13 15:49:28 EST 2020

Haha I had something like that happen to me about a year ago.

My NBN just abruptly stopped in the middle of the day with no warning.
Called up the ISP after ~30 minutes and they were scratching their head
because they could see a good solid connection. Only catch was it wasn't
my MAC address!

They got a NBN appointment made for 2 days later....which got cancelled
because the NBNco geniuses saw a valid connection.

Turned out someone else just got FTTN and whoever hooked it up decided I
wasn't using my port so disconnected me and put the new customer on it.

I shudder to think how often this kind of thing must be occurring!

On 13/4/20 3:44 pm, Noel Butler wrote:

> https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/someone-else-is-disconnecting-my-service.1281331/
>
> "Someone else is signing up to optus with our address which is
> disconnecting our service."
>

> --
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Noel Butler
>
> This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged
> information, therefore remains confidential and subject to copyright
> protected under international law. You may not disseminate any part of
> this message without the authors express written authority to do so.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then
> delete all copies of this message including attachments immediately.
> Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost
> by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.

Nick Stallman
Technical Director
Email 	nick at agentpoint.com <mailto:nick at agentpoint.com>
Phone 	02 8039 6820 <tel:0280396820>
Website 	www.agentpoint.com.au <https://www.agentpoint.com.au/>

Agentpoint <https://www.agentpoint.com.au/>
Netpoint <https://netpoint.group/>

67 Renwick St, Redfern NSW 2009 	Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/agentpoint/> Twitter
<https://twitter.com/agentpoint> Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/Agentpoint/> Linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/agentpoint-pty-ltd>