[AusNOG] Hey Google, why are you in bed with Telstra?

Nathan Brookfield Nathan.Brookfield at simtronic.com.au
Wed Sep 18 10:48:15 EST 2019

If they opened this to other providers it would be a game changer, just using them for VoIP paging speakers would be pretty cool!

Nathan Brookfield
Chief Executive Officer

Simtronic Technologies Pty Ltd
http://www.simtronic.com.au

On 18 Sep 2019, at 10:36, Jamie Lovick <jalovick at doof.org<mailto:jalovick at doof.org>> wrote:

Hi,

Calling from Google smart devices has been in the US for a while (Google is a carrier there, so it was easy for them to setup), but in Australia it hasn't been available, until now. It's a pity that they've just gone with Telstra.

I don't agree with CRN's take that it will just be a fad, as is a great opportunity for families that need to support older people who may not be as mobile or don't know how to use a mobile phone. Cheap Google Home Mini's make a perfect speakerphone.

I wonder if they'll open this up to other providers, or will enable users to configure their own VoIP settings?

Jamie