[AusNOG] Default IPv6 Local Only Addressing for Non-Internet Devices

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 17:44:49 EST 2019

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019, 17:37 Dave Browning, <dave at dlbnetworks.com> wrote:

> My “workaround” for this is to drop all IPv6 ingress on my router for any
> devices MAC I don’t want getting an IPv6 address. That way it can’t get an
> address from the likes of IPv6 stateless address auto configuration.
>
> Haven’t tested enough to know what other implications this may cause.

Well you're stopping your devices from getting any IPv6 address at all.

I bought my printer specifically because it does IPv6, as all my devices do
other than my 2011 TV and 2014 PVR.

I'd just prefer that it didn't have a global IPv6 address when it doesn't
need one. (It would need one if I was using e.g. Google Cloud print).