[AusNOG] Software Defined Routers

Ben Babich bbabich at datamossa.com
Tue Oct 8 17:39:27 EST 2019

"Software Defined" is becoming a well marketed term these days, though its
true meaning seems open to interpretation for many...

Yes, VyOS is merely a Debian based Linux distro with a bunch of config
management to wrangle the usual softwares (FRR, swan, dhcpd, lldpd etc)
into a complete product that a network generalist can easily use. The
restful API development is progressing well though ansible based
'management' has been around for a while now.

Hardware wise, surely the Linux based x86 platform that most of the big
name vendors have built their solutions around, albeit with fancy code to
shuffle the packets (DPDK/VPP/Fastpath etc) in massive volumes and quickly
could one day end up in the likes of the products like VyOS? The recent
addition to the pfSense family being TNSR, much like products from 4Wind,
seems to have a similar and somewhat successful approach. I guess one would
need to contemplate how the hyperscalers are doing it these days? ;-)

That said, it all gets down to the use-case and end customer really; you'll
have a pretty tough conversation convincing most to take the likes of
VyOS//TNSR/4Wind over the Cisco/Juniper/Arista etc equivalent when their
millions of dollars in revenue a day are dependant on it and they want a
TAC behind supporting it...