[AusNOG] Dry Contact Alerting on a Cisco Router

Brad Peczka brad at bradpeczka.com
Mon May 6 12:38:06 EST 2019

Hello All,

I'm working through an interesting scenario at the moment, whereby I need to provide an alert via Dry Contact that the 3G/4G interface on a Cisco router has come up (and vice versa, for the contact to clear when the 3G is down).

I know Cisco used to have the AIC module for this purpose (waaay back in the day) but it's EOL since 2005 and has no listed replacement. I'm curious as to if there's an embedded device out there that can poll the Cisco via SNMP and change the status of a contact based on the result returned from the SNMP query. Moxa do some nice device servers that have a good API, but that'd need an EEM script on the router to trigger the interface change, something I'm reluctant to do.

Has anyone implemented something similar in their own environments - and if so, how did you do it?

Replies off-list are fine, and I'll provide an on-list summary if there's interest.

Regards,
-Brad.