[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 19:04:47 EST 2019

This came out on Wednesday...

The Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security
<https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Joint/Intelligence_and_Security>
has
exercised its powers to refer the *Telecommunications and Other Legislation
Amendment (Assistance and Access) Act 2018*
<https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2018A00148> to the Independent
National Security Legislation Monitor (INSLM) <https://www.inslm.gov.au/>,
Dr James Renwick CSC SC, for review and report.
This is the first referral to the INSLM in the Committee’s history.
In referring the review, the Committee has requested that Dr Renwick review
whether the Act contains appropriate safeguards for protecting the rights
of individuals, remains proportionate to the threat to national security
and remains necessary.
Committee Chair Mr Andrew Hastie MP
<https://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Parliamentarian?MPID=260805>
 and Deputy Chair the Hon Anthony Byrne MP
<https://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Parliamentarian?MPID=008K0> made
the following statement:
*The Assistance and Access Act seeks to respond to highly technical
challenges encountered by Australian intelligence and law enforcement
agencies, and the Act has attracted significant domestic and international
attention.*
*In our view, the INSLM provides a valuable, independent perspective on the
balance between necessary security measures and the protection of civil
liberties. As such, the INSLM is an important and valued component of
Australia’s national security architecture. *
*As an eminent barrister, Dr Renwick brings a wealth of legal expertise to
the role of INSLM and has a strong understanding of national security
issues and the operation of relevant security agencies. The Committee looks
forward to the outcome and any recommendations made by the INSLM in the
review and report.*
The Committee has requested the INSLM to report to the Committee by
1 March 2020.
The Committee will consider any findings or recommendations in its own
review of the same Act, due later in 2020.
*About the Independent National Security Legislation Monitor:*
Established by legislation, the INSLM independently reviews the operation,
effectiveness and implications of national security and counter-terrorism
laws; and considers whether the laws contain appropriate protections for
individual rights, remain proportionate to terrorism or national security
threats, and remain necessary. In conducting the review the INSLM has
access to all relevant material, regardless of national security
classification, can compel answers to questions, and holds public and
private hearings.
*Media enquiries:*
Chair, Mr Andrew Hastie MP on (02) 6277 4223
Deputy Chair, Hon Anthony Byrne MP on (02) 6277 4309
*For background: *
Committee Secretariat on (02) 6277 2360 or email pjcis at aph.gov.au