[AusNOG] Fwd: PJCIS: REVIEW OF THE MANDATORY DATA RETENTION REGIME, INVITATION TO MAKE A SUBMISSION

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 10:31:49 EST 2019

Comms Alliance submission
<https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=10156360-86ba-4fff-93c9-f2caa3577dd6&subId=668168>
makes the case that the costs of Data Retention are not being properly
compensated, with substantial incurred costs being a carrier expense.

The initial capital costs incurred by industry to meet the requirements of
the regime were
partially – but not fully – met via grants from Government. As has been
highlighted in
information presented to the committee, industry has incurred a net cost to
meet its
obligations under the regime of *at least $171m over a four year period*,
despite cost-recovery mechanisms being in place.

This gets more interesting still, when you begin to consider the
substantially more expensive and complex TCNs/TANs.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins