[AusNOG] Tracing a stolen mobile phone

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Tue Jul 9 15:52:51 EST 2019

There have been a couple of car thieves found in the last few weeks who
have run off with vehicles which have iPhones or iPads in them, and the
owners have used "Find my iPhone" to locate them, which is
excruciatingly funny.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/man-charged-after-police-track-stolen-car-using-find-my-ipad-app/ar-AAD2wZb?li=AAgfIYZ&p=DevEx%2C5073.1

With all the so-called national security legislation that has passed
over the last couple of years, there's no doubt that the police /can/
track a device via its IMEI.

But they won't. Not for a trivial case. Only for leak investigations
arising from referrals from Ministers, they'll get onto them like a
beaver on wood. But actually helping real normal people? LOL no, that's
not what those laws were for.

Regards,

   - mark