[AusNOG] IP Transit provider Caching content providers with their own ASN and IP's

Bruce Forster bruce at tubes.net.au
Wed Jul 3 09:57:57 EST 2019

Tom, although technically correct its not really in the interest of the
transit provider to do this.

If they chose to stop sending the prefixes to the cache, it doesn't mean
that all of a sudden it will now route via Peering.
You may find it still comes in to the network via iptransit but on a path
that now costs the upstream a lot more to haul it.
The issue isn't with the upstream its with the CDN the upstream really
doesn't control how the CDN distributes the traffic.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 5:12 AM Tom Paseka <tom at cloudflare.com> wrote:

> Your transit provider should provide you with BGP communities. You can tag
> your routes to the transit not to export to the CDN, which might help steer
> away. Ask your provider for the BGP Communities.
>

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 8:49 AM Bruce Forster <bruce at tubes.net.au> wrote:
>
>> From my perspective;
>>
>> 1, You do have a commercial relationship with your upstream not the CDN
>> 2, its in the interest of the upstream to save on costs with the use of
>> cache's on net and other IX's
>> 3, the 'best' path for your network and what the CDN views as best don't
>> always align.
>>
>> I know in the past iv had issues with CDN's and the path traffic takes,
>> Gavins right open a case with the CDN and see what they say my thoughts
>> will be a reply along the lines of "everything working as expected"
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 4:53 PM thomas bishop <darryl.huges87 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> This is a bit of a strange one.
>>>
>>> We have recently signed up with a new IP Transit provider and noticed
>>> the usage was a lot higher than our old provider.
>>>
>>> After doing some digging and sflow captures we managed to find out the
>>> provider themselves was sending us tonnes of traffic from their ASN and
>>> their IP (They are not a content provider).
>>>
>>> We raised this with the provider and they said its because they cache
>>> akami and a few other content providers so that traffic will come through
>>> our Transit link instead of our peering.
>>>
>>> Since the traffic is coming straight from their AS there is little we
>>> can do to stop it coming in apart from getting our own caching server but i
>>> don't feel like this should be required.
>>>
>>> Curious of your thoughts either on list or privately. Personally i don't
>>> see why they would cache with their own AS number. We are essentially
>>> paying a premium for traffic we can get for nothing with peering.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bruce