[AusNOG] Cancellations and Number holding periods

Benjamin Ricardo ben.ricardo at acs.com.au
Thu Jan 31 15:05:45 EST 2019

Hi all,
Got a bit of an administrative technical question here,

Say you have a client who has had a person leave their company (not necessarily disgruntled).
This person happens to be an authorised contact on the account with the clients VOIP phone provider and cancels the account after they have left the company.
Despite the reactivation of a number being a relatively straightforward process (you would expect), we are told this is not so and the account can never be activated and the number is gone. - this is in a follow up phone call less than 24hrs after the request for the account to be cancelled.

My question is "is there a time period that a service provider is obligated to hold a number after it has been cancelled by the end user?"
If the answer is yes
Then
My next question is "is there any TPG admins on list that can help? we're going round and round here and the clock is ticking"

As a bonus question for the keen ones "where do the numbers go when they have been cancelled? To number heaven?" :)

Thanks all for your assistance in advance,

Ben
[2013 logo]

Ben Ricardo | Senior Technician |  M Net&SysAdmin, MCITP-SA, CEHv8, ITIL
Australian Computer Solutions Pty Ltd | 2/28 Barralong Rd Erina NSW 2250 |
P: 02 4365 2727 or 1300-807-131 | F: 02 4365 2304 | E: ben.ricardo at acs.com.au<mailto:ben.ricardo at acs.com.au>
Twitter: @austcompso